Tips To Recover Hidden Files
One of the best ways to keep your confidential and sensitive files away from everybody is to make it hidden. Thanks to windows, as they made it possible using Explorer’s view setting. Aside from hiding files, this feature also comes handy if you want to view hidden files and folders in an internal or external drive. But what if someone accidentally deleted your folder that contains your hidden files? Or what if you can’t view your hidden files at all like it remained invisible? Don’t worry because we will tell you down below how you can unhide and recover deleted files in Windows PC. In addition, we will also share a few measures to prevent data loss due to accidentally deleting the hidden folders. So, keep on reading until the end to learn more.
If you are experiencing hidden files trouble, just simply follow these tips to recover your hidden files or call data recovery dallas!
How to recover Deleted Hidden Files in Windows
1. Use a hidden file recovery software (Recommended) – One of the best solution to recover an accidentally deleted folder that contains hidden files is to use a data recovery software such as the Stellar Data Recovery. This software is totally useful and it can be used to recover deleted hidden files quickly. To view and recover your files, just simply follow these three simple steps:
- Select the file types to recover/unhide.
- Choose the folder location or the drive where the hidden files were located
- Click Scan and then Recover to save the recovered hidden files at your desired location
Aside from restoring hidden files and folders on a Windows PC, this software can also recover deleted and lost files. Further, it can also unhide and retrieve data from the deleted or missing partitions of your drive. More importantly, it can keep your data from accidental deletion.
2. Use Command Prompt – Aside from using a hidden file recovery software, you can also use the command prompt to recover your deleted hidden files. Just simply go to the folder location or volume where files are hidden and then follow these steps:
- Hold the Shift key and right click at the location
- Select ‘Open command window here.’
- Type or paste following command
- attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*
- Replace X with the drive letter that contains hidden files and press ‘Enter.’
- Wait for a while and then reconnect the drive to view hidden files
After this, run a scan using any other third party malware or anti-virus tool or Windows Defender tool.
3. Run CHKDSK – If you cannot view your hidden files because of an error, you can try running the CHKDSK. This command is known to repair file system errors and logical issues with the drive. You can run CHKDSK command via command prompt by following these steps below:
- Open command prompt
- Type the drive letter containing hidden files followed by column and press ‘Enter.’ e.g., D:
- Type chkdsk /r /f and press ‘Enter.’
- Wait for the process to finish, reconnect the drive or restart the system
Alternatively, you can use the error checking utility to access your hidden file by simply right clicking on the drive, choose properties>Tools and click the ‘Check’ button under Error Checking.
4. Use the software that you used to hide/encrypt the files and folders – If you used software such as FileVault to encrypt and hide sensitive files, then you should also use the same software to decrypt and unhide them. If you are planning to use tools like this, then keep in mind that tools like this must be used cautiously as they can cause permanent data loss beyond recovery if you forget the password, force uninstalls the software or reinstall the Windows.
Hiding files and folders let you safeguard the data from being accessed by everybody. However, sometimes malware and virus infection and accidental deletion can cause you big trouble. If you are looking for the best bathroom renovation service, simply visit our site at Bathroom Renovations Calgary!
Check out our tree removal site, Calgary Tree Removal!